20 Questions Commonly Asked In An Interview
- Tell me something about yourself?
- (Start with the present and give a brief summary of achievements).
- Where would you like to be 5 years from now?
- What is the most diffcult situation you have had to face?
- How did you handle it and what was the outcome?
- How could you add value by joining this company?
- What do you know about this company?
- What would you like to specialise in? (technology, career path etc.)
- Why do you feel you are right for this position?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weakness?
- What were your reasons for leaving your previous company?
- How would your friends describe you?
- How do you handle confrontation?
- What is your motto in life?
- Describe yourself in one word?
- What was your greatest disappointment?
- Do you prefer to work in a team or individually?
- Do you delegate work or do you prefer to handle everything yourself?
- Who has had the most influence in your life and why?
20 Questions To Ask In An Interview
- What specific expertise or skill do you feel is most important for someone to succeed in this position/company?
- What is the most difficult aspect of this position?
- What is the first problem I will be solving (i.e. biggest or most difficult challenge)?
- What exactly am I going to be doing?
- Who will I be reporting to? What interaction will I have with him (i.e. do you see him once per week or 24 hours per day)?
- Any set criteria for promotion, or is it based on merit?
- When asked about salary expectations, remember to be as open and negotiable as possible – a commitment to a figure could overprice or under price you – allow you consultant to negotiate the best salary for you.
- How can I contribute to the team?
- What would your expectations be of me in order to be successful?
- Is your preference a team player or independent worker?
- Do you have performance measures in place (e.g. performance appraisals etc.)?
- Do you offer additional training?
- How can I improve on the person who held this position before?
- What exciting projects does the company have planned for the future?
- Company and company history (i.e. competitors, holding company, structure of company)?
- Ask to see the work place (it shows interest).
- What is the company culture and working environment?
- What is the company vision?
- What are your future growth plans for this department?
- What are the company policies?
Wall Street Journal