Job TitleMining Director
Employment TypeFull Time
Experience5 to 10 years
SalaryR100000 to R125000
Job Published05 April 2022
Job Reference No.676628351
Duties & Responsibilities
Develop and implement strategic mining direction
- Develop a growth strategy for the mining division focusing both on profitability as well as competitive advantage (customer satisfaction/quality, cost etc.)
- Create short-, medium- and long-term objectives of mining division
- Articulate business plans, budgets and critical success factors (CSFs) clearly to achieve these objectives
- Set achievable goals that keep the organization focused on the target.
- Actively search for and present to the Exco various market analysis and opportunities that will produce promising and attractive returns or will meet the group’s business objectives
- Review, adapt and refine strategy continuously to respond to market changes and maintain competitive edge
Build and maintain strategic partnerships
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key decision makers.
- Maintain a deep knowledge and understanding of the mining industry.
- Research, identify and pursue new trends and opportunities in the mining industry.
- Provide world – class service to clients while continuously expanding within the industry.
Collaboration with internal stakeholders
- Build synergy with other leadership within the business i.e., Guarding, Electronics and Special Operations to implement best solution to address client’s requirements.
- Collaborate with Sales & Marketing regarding brand identity and positioning for the Mining Division.
Gaining a Competitive Advantage
- Constantly analyse competitors in the industry to understand their strengths and identify their weaknesses and offer solutions to address client’s business needs.
- Identify and understand industry related threats and opportunities, especially insofar as how they will affect the Mining Division’s strategy.
- Constantly gather information and keep up to date on the latest industry best practices, enabling the business to keep up with competition in the market or even solidify itself as one of the industry leaders.
- Liaise with internal stakeholders (multi-disciplinary teams) to ensure all risks, costs and opportunities are identified and included into quotations for new business.
- Ensure that revenues and profit margins in client quotations are aligned to business objectives and strategy.
- Compile recommendations and plans for initiatives (with a focus on profit generation) including financial ramifications such as costs, resources etc. and submit for approval.
- Review management accounts monthly to ensure accuracy and to understand the financial performance of the business, as well as to forecast predicted financial performance in the near term.
- Work with the shared services finance team to compile a detailed achievable annual budget for relevance, reasonability and support of the strategic plans.
- Manage monthly expenditure effectively and efficiently.
- Manages staff in respect of planning, organising, leading and development:
- Provide Leadership and guidance for the mining division.
- Recruit in alignment with company and “right person on the right seat on the bus” approach
- Adheres to legislative requirements, company policies and procedures in respect of employment and safety practices.
- Drives the 100/0 principle and ladder of accountability within the department.
- Encourages a culture of continuous improvement by ensuring that annual training plan targets are met.
- Instils a culture of commitment to customer service and profit appreciation amongst staff.
- Liaise with HR to ensure the Performance plan agreements are relevant.
- Develop, update and implement the personal development plans for all employees.
- Conduct performance reviews for employees bi-annually within the agreed timeframe.
- Conduct poor performance counselling, in conjunction with the ER department, as and when required.
- Takes action as and when necessary, in respect of breaches of procedures and instructions (e.g., disciplinary action, counselling).
- Ensures that prescribed company policies and procedures are adhered to by all employees at all times.
Desired Experience & Qualification
- Grade 12 (Matric).
- Relevant qualifications will be an advantage
- Valid driver's license and reliable vehicle
- 10 years’ experience in similar role OR relevant Business Degree.
- PSIRA registered within 3 months of employment
- Experienced leader with proven and demonstrable track record in sales and profit growth for a business that is on the supply side of the mining industry.
- In-depth understanding of mining industry.
- Proven ability with regards to Customer Relations Management.
- Business acumen
- String negotiation skills
- Customer focus skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills
- Persistence and perseverance
- Results driven
- Analytical- and Critical Thinking Ability
- Sense making of Information
- Planning Skills
- Collaborative, and team player
- Emotional Maturity